- Provide care for adolescent and young adult patients with acute physical and mental health issues.
- Provide continuity of care for adolescent and young adult patients with chronic medical problems and complex health conditions
- Provide preventive health care that includes the conditions specific to the adolescent and young adult population.
- Transition care of the adolescent and young adult patient to adult health care settings
- Diagnosis and management of patients with arrhythmias and conduction abnormalities.
- Care for patients who require catheter based interventions.
- Diagnose, initially manage, and refer children with advanced or end stage heart failure and/or pulmonary hypertension to experts for medical therapy, ECMO, ventricular assist device and/or cardiac transplantation.
- Diagnosis and management of congenital or acquired cardiac problems.
- Diagnosis and management of patients with acute congenital or acquired cardiac problems requiring intensive care.
- Acquire the imaging skills required for all aspects of pediatric and congenital cardiology care.
- Provide subspecialty medical evaluation in cases of suspected child physical abuse
- Provide subspecialty medical evaluation in cases of suspected child sexual abuse
- Provide subspecialty medical evaluation in cases of suspected child neglect and other forms of child maltreatment
- Engage in behaviors and use coping strategies that will mitigate the emotional stress of caring for patients that have been abused, neglected or maltreated
Critical Care Medicine
- Perform comprehensive histories and physical and neurodevelopmental examinations to make accurate diagnoses for patients presenting with developmental-behavioral concerns from infancy through young adulthood.
- Recognize and longitudinally manage behavioral variations, problems, and disorders in typically developing children and children with developmental disorders
- Recommend appropriate medical laboratory workup and evidence-based medical, therapeutic, educational, and behavioral interventions for children with developmental-behavioral disorders
- Effectively communicate with families to facilitate their understanding of their child’s developmental-behavioral diagnoses and to promote their engagement in clinical decision-making and treatment.
- Effectively advocate for children and families affected by developmental and behavioral disorders
- Recognize and provide care for acutely ill and/or injured pediatric patients presenting to the Emergency Department (ED)
- Recognize and provide care for medically and technologically complex pediatric patients in the ED
- Demonstrate competence in performing common procedures associated with the practice of pediatric emergency medicine
- Provide patient triage, resuscitation, and stabilization; align care provided with severity of illness
- Emergency Department Management: Manage the emergency department to optimize patient care
- Provide supervision for emergency personnel to enhance patient care quality and assure patient safety
- Manage patients with acute endocrine disorders in ambulatory, emergency or inpatient settings.
- Manage patients with chronic endocrine disorders in the ambulatory or inpatient settings.
- Facilitate the transition of patients with endocrine disorders from pediatric to adult health care.
- Demonstrate competence in understanding the reasons to perform and interpret the common procedures of the pediatric endocrinologist.
- Care of children and adolescents with Acute and Chronic Gastrointestinal Disorders.
- Care of children and adolescents with Acute and Chronic Hepatology, Biliary, and Pancreatic Disorders.
- Diagnose and manage common outpatient gastro-intestinal disorders in children and adolescents.
- Perform comprehensive nutritional assessments, provide counseling/education, and manage nutritional support for a variety of conditions.
- Perform quality upper and lower endoscopic evaluation of the luminal gastrointestinal tract for screening, diagnosis, and intervention.
- Manage patients with hematology-oncology conditions, whether acute or chronic, simple or complex, in an ambulatory, emergency, or inpatient setting
- Enroll and treat patients on clinical research trials
- Provide a medical home for patients with hematologic, oncologic, or stem cell transplant needs
- Demonstrate competence in performing and interpreting common procedures of a pediatric hematologist/oncologist
- Facilitate the transition of care
- Introduce and facilitate the integration of palliative care for patients with advanced disease
- Management of healthy patients with pediatric infectious diseases
- Management of pediatric patients with underlying chronic disease and an infectious disease
- Management and prevention of infections associated with medical/surgical devices, surgery and trauma
- Antimicrobial stewardship and microbiological principles
- Prevention and containment of infection
- Manage patients with acute, common single system diseases in an inpatient setting.
- Manage patients with complex, multisystem diseases in the NICU.
- Provide care to patients in the NICU with surgical problems in collaboration with pediatric and subspecialty surgeons.
- Management of Neonatal Care Systems.Provide resuscitation and stabilization of neonates and infants that aligns care with severity of illness
- Care of children with acute renal disorders, including hypertension and disorders of the urinary tract.
- Care of children with chronic renal disorders, including hypertension and disorders of the urinary tract.
- Care of the pediatric patient with ESKD and renal transplant.
- Provision and supervision of renal-related procedures including renal biopsy, peritoneal dialysis, hemodialysis, and continuous renal replacement therapy.
- Manage the use of supplemental respiratory equipment such as oxygen, ventilators, and airway clearance devices.
- Manage patients with acute complex respiratory disease in an ambulatory, emergency, or inpatient setting.
- Manage patients with complex chronic respiratory disease through all settings and phases of life.
- Demonstrate competence in communicating a new diagnosis of a life altering disease using a patient and family centered approach.
- Demonstrate competence in performing the common procedures of the pediatric pulmonary subspecialist.
- Demonstrate competence in the utilization of immunomodulatory therapy for pediatric rheumatology patient.
- Manage patients with acute or chronic complex multi-system rheumatic disease in an ambulatory, emergency, or inpatient setting.
- Provide or coordinate a medical home for patients with complex, and chronic rheumatic disease.